He is commemorated by the Harvard Chapel, off the North Transept. This was originally the Chapel of St John the Evangelist, but its modern reconstruction was paid for with funds given by members of Harvard University.
The splendid stained glass window was donated by a Harvard graduate, and then American Ambassador to London, Mr Choate in 1905. He was present at its official unveiling on 22 May 1905. The window depicts the baptism of Christ and the arms of Emmanuel College Cambridge, which John Harvard attended, and Harvard University.
The communion table with its fine twisted 'barley legs' was the gift of Joyce, Lady Clarke in 1623. It was at one time the High Altar within the church. The Reserved Sacrament is housed here in an 1851 Tabernacle designed by Pugin.
Diocese of Southwark
Last updated: 20/06/07