Sutton Deanery

Benhilton, All Saints

External photo

Address

All Saints Road
Sutton
Surrey

Location map

Parish Contacts

Fr Peter Harnden SSC (Priest-in-Charge/Vicar Designate)

75 All Saints Road
Sutton
Surrey SM1 3DJ
Tel: 020 8644 9070
E-mail: allsaintsbenhilton@btconnect.com

Sunday Services

8.00 am Mass
(ASB Rite A with additions)
9.30 am Sung Mass
(ASB Rite A with additions)
(with Sunday School)
6:30 pm Evensong
(BCP & Benediction)

Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, disabled toilet, induction loop, large print books/services sheets.

Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Tradition: Traditional Catholic

Patron: Bishop of Southwark

Population (2001 census): 12,894

Urban Priority Area: No

Deanery: Sutton

Archdeaconry: Croydon

Episcopal Area: Croydon

Diocesan Record Office: Sutton Local Studies Centre

Introduction to parish

Benhilton, established in 1860, is a suburban parish in North Sutton. The parish has a wide variety of housing. Differing cultures are reflected in the congregation.

All Saints is in the Episcopal care of the Bishop of Edmonton. Our Catholic liturgy is enhanced by good music and ceremonial, and the Mass is celebrated daily. A 'scripture reflection group' and quiet days are well attended.

Younger members are nurtured in Sunday school and youth club, a shared venture with a neighbouring parish. Close links exist with the church school, nursing homes and the house-bound. Laity are involved with these ministries.

Details of Church

Internal photo

Internal photo

Built: 1863-66
Architect: Samuel S Teulon
Listing: grade 2

This large and prominently positioned church was designed by S S Teulon in the Gothic Revival style and built between 1863 and 1866. It consists of a broad nave with circular clerestorey windows, chancel, north and south aisles, Lady Chapel, vestries with organ chamber above, imposing west tower, and north and south porches.

The construction is of brick with flint facing externally, natural stone dressings with trussed timber roof covered with plain clay tiles.