West Lewisham Deanery
Lower Sydenham, St Michael & All Angels
Part of the Forest Hill Team Ministry
All enquiries to:
c/o St Michael's Church
Lower Sydenham, SE26 4HH
10am Holy Communion with Sunday School (weeks 2-4)
10am All Age Holy Communion on 1st and 5th Sundays
Morning Prayer most days at 8.45am.
'Big Church Wednesday' - the church is open from 9am for a Toddler Group and coffee, lunches at noon, afternoon tea and play and Holy Communion at 7.30pm followed by Bible Study on alternate Wednesdays.
Prayer Chapel, Disabled access, toilets, toddler play area, induction loop. Small hall used by 'uniform groups' but also available for hire (020 8699 7453).
Patron: Bishop of Southwark
Urban Priority Area: Yes
Archdeaconry: Lewisham & Greenwich
Episcopal Area: Woolwich
Introduction to Parish
At St Michael's you will find a very mixed congregation drawn from those who have lived in the parish all their lives, others who have moved into the Sydenham area recently and many who started their lives in another country. We just have one service on a Sunday at 10am where people of all ages and backgrounds come together to worship.
Our worship is relatively informal but dignified within the Church of England tradition. Children are very welcome and contribute to the worship. We are an open, inclusive, welcoming church that has strong links with St Michael's School next door.
Our vision is to be a growing church and we believe that God is blessing us in many ways.
We are part of a single parish with St George's Church in Vancouver Road and together we are the Forest Hill Team Ministry. If you would like to know more about us, please visit our web site. Better still, come and join us one Wednesday or Sunday. We would love to meet you.
Details of church
Built: 1957 - 58
Architect: David Nye & Partners
Listing: not listed
St Michael's church is located on Champion Crescent in the lower part of Sydenham. Champion Crescent forms an island, which houses the church, school and the adjacent vicarage.
The present church of St Michael and All Angels was constructed after the Second World War following the destruction of the original 1868 building due to war damage.
Accommodation comprises nave and chancel, with a vestibule at the west end. From the vestibule, lead toilets and a staircase up to the gallery in which the organ is located. At the north east side is a chapel, which is matched by a vestry on the south east. The church also adjoins the church hall on the south side.
The construction comprises a series of reinforced concrete portal frames bridged by concrete purlins and roofed using slates. Two side aisles are created below flat roofs which are finished with asphalt. The principal east and west elevations, above the single storey aisles, are of full height glazing set between the portal frames. The east and west elevations are of brickwork. Flooring, generally, is of thermoplastic tiles leading to a chancel which is raised two steps from the nave. The sanctuary itself is raised by one step; the altar again is on a dais of two further steps.
The font is located below the organ gallery and is finished with a carved font cover.