Outwood, St John the Baptist
A parish within the United Benefice of South Nutfield with Outwood
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Listing: Grade II
The church was built in 1869 to the design of Burges in a plain lancet style and is unaltered since this date apart from the tower.
It comprises nave of five bays and chancel with a broad, square tower at the west end, added in 1876 by W P Manning. Access to the belfry is via an octagonal turret built into the south east corner of the tower; it does not extend beyond this level. There is a combined clergy and choir vestry adjacent to the north side of the chancel with a catslide roof over. There is an open porch on the south side of the nave.
The church is founded on heavy clay and stands in a small graveyard close to the north side of Brickfield Road, a mile or so from the village. It is bounded on three sides by dense woodland.